If you are like most people, you have heard the words, “stand up straight” or “stop slouching” at some point. Although the people who told you this may not have had a lot of insight into why good posture is so important, their words were wise. Through ongoing research and studies, experts have discovered just how important good posture is for overall health.
By sitting or standing erect, the spine and supportive muscles are in proper alignment. Therefore, the spine, brain, and nerves function properly. Experts also discovered that long-term bad posture compromises health. For instance, people with poor posture often suffer from digestive problems, constipation, joint pain, difficulty breathing, excessive fatigue, and a host of other things.
Slouching is the result of many bad habits, including excessive time in front of a television or computer, being overweight, carelessness, negative self-image, accidental falls and injuries, wearing improper shoes or having foot problems, sleeping on the wrong mattress, and even emotional and visual difficulties.
While just one of these factors can cause poor posture, it is usually a combination of several. Considering all the bad things connected with poor posture, it is evident that adopting good posture is critical.
Benefits of Good Posture
There are several reasons that achieving good posture through chiropractic care is so important for your overall health.
- Reduced or Eliminated Back and Neck Pain – With good posture, the strain on the muscles and stress on the spine are eliminated. Because of that, there is no more pressure on joints, muscles, and vertebrae or constricted blood vessels and nerves. Ultimately, back and neck pain are dramatically reduced or completely alleviated.
- Greater Confidence and Self-Image – With good posture, you will feel better about the way you look. Naturally, this will bolster both confidence and self-image.
- Weight Loss – One of the most fascinating aspects of good posture is that you can actually lose weight. Just by standing and sitting tall, the body can burn up to 350 calories a day.
- Easier Breathing – Good posture also opens up the airways, making it easier to breathe. As increased oxygen flows through the cardiopulmonary system, the blood carries a sufficient amount of oxygen throughout the entire body. Overall, organs, tissue, muscle, cells, and the nervous system function better.
- Enhanced Mood – Poor posture reduces energy, which leads to negative thoughts. This is why many people who have bad posture suffer from things like depression, loneliness, and a sense of isolation. On the other hand, good posture boosts energy, thereby promoting a positive mood. Something as simple as good posture can completely transform a person.
If you are experiencing back or neck pain, feeling fatigued, struggling with your mood, having trouble sleeping, or experiencing any problem as the result of poor posture, please contact us at Back and Body Medical in New York. After running diagnostic testing, one of our licensed chiropractors will provide the appropriate type of posture correction techniques to improve your overall health.