If you have hip pain in New York, you can come in and see us and we can treat you and help you to recovery. But there are also several hip pain exercises you can also do to help this process and help expedite your recovery time. We may even prescribe some of these ourselves for you or propose other exercises too. The ultimate aim of course is getting you feeling better.
With the hips, there are predominantly two types of muscles that control the area, namely the tonic and phasic. We’ll split the exercises under each muscle.
Tonic Muscles (Postural)
These muscles are normally short and tight as they are designed to keep us upright. When we sleep, these muscles contract even more so we need to stretch them on a regular basis. Here’s a couple of good stretching exercises to help these muscles:
- Standing, step forward with your left leg into a straddled position.
- Rotate your pelvis 90 degrees.
- Perform a posterior pelvic tilt to try to flatten the lower back and then rock the pelvis forward and stretch the left groin gently in front of the hip.
- Then lean back to the right to increase the stretch and hold for 10 seconds max. Then repeat on the other side.
- Find a doorway and lay on your back with the left leg on the door jam and the right leg through the doorway.
- Push the left leg into the door jam and then move closer to the jam after a few seconds and hold for a couple of minutes. Then repeat with the other leg.
The phasic muscles only work when required and thus are weaker so they need to be strengthened rather than stretched.
- Lay on the floor with hands under lower back and then keep one leg straight while bending the other.
- Lift breast bone a couple of inches off the floor and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat exercise until the abdominal muscles are tired.
- Squeeze the buttocks together throughout the day when sitting or standing.
- Lay on your back and have your knees up in the air with feet flat on the ground.
- Lift your buttocks to align with your torso and push heels into the floor. Hold the position for 10 seconds. Repeat several times.
These exercises will help stretch and strengthen the muscles in your hip area. They are simple to do and should help. Obviously if you have sharp pain from doing these hip exercises in New York, stop what you are doing immediately and come in for an examination. We’ll be able to determine the problem, treat you and advise you different exercises or therapy. It’s what we do.
If you are in pain, contact us now. We have three simple ways you can make an appointment at our Back and Body New York chiro office:
Call now on (212)371 2000 or text (315)873-3095 or email us at [email protected]