Back pain and sciatica are two of the most debilitating ailments that are not fatal but can definitely make you want to pass out, especially if the attacks are excruciating and unbearable. When a person is having a particularly bad attack of backache and sciatica, the immediate option would certainly be to take a pain reliever. However, in such instances, there are certain things that the individual would have to do and avoid doing to experience pain relief and prevent the condition from worsening.
In terms of back pain care NYC locals should follow some simple dos and don’ts recommended by trusted chiropractors to prevent the condition from being further aggravated.
- Get a massage.Sometimes, back pain and sciatica are caused by tight muscles such as the piriformis, which runs across the buttock. The sciatic nerve runs under or through the piriformis; as such, if this muscle gets tight, the nerves become compressed. To make the sciatica and back pain go away, get a qualified and skilled massage therapist to give you a proper rub down and work on relaxing those muscles.
- See a chiropractor.If the chiropractor points out that the sacro-iliac or SI joint or the pelvis is off, it can cause low back and even buttock pain. A chiropractic adjustment will give you the pain relief you are a looking for. If disc issue is the cause of your back pain, chiropractic adjustment can help you out, too.
- Stretch.Stretching your muscles can also help you overcome sciatica and back pain.Chiropractors say that one of the best and most effective stretches you can do is to lean forward and cross your leg over the other while the ankle is on the opposite knee. Hold this position for least 30 seconds and breathe.
- Ignore your pain.When you’re in pain, this means that something is wrong with your body. Back pain and sciatica can be an indication of a disc issue, so it is always best to see a medical professional for help as soon as possible.
- Sit for too long. Avoid sitting for long periods at a time without standing and moving around from time to time. Human bodies weren’t made to be stagnant, after all.
- Stop all your regular activities.You have to keep moving. You should not overdo it or power through it like you are not in pain at all, but you also do not want to stop everything you do. If you are suffering from lower back pain, it is recommended that you continue keeping up with your normal exercises and activities.
When dealing with back pain and sciatica, it is always best to explore your options. And one of the first things you have to do is to consult a medical professional to help you get the right diagnosis and treatment plan so that you will not have to suffer too long from such debilitating pain.