SNAG (Sustained Natural Apophyseal Glide) are mobilizations here at Back and Body that have been proven to improve pain in many patients. A study by Mohamed et al utilized cervical SNAGs to treat cervicogenic headaches and dizziness related to upper cervical joint dysfunction. Both snags provided symptomatic relief in relation to headaches, vertigo, and migraines. Let’s take a look at further studies that prove this.
What is SNAG you may ask? SNAG treatments consist of movements where the patient moves in the direction of symptoms until the end range. Once at the end range, a towel or strap will provide gentle over-pressure to increase movement to this direction. This movement should be pain free.
SNAG combined with spinal manipulation is very effective in providing pain relief from headaches, migraines, and vertigo, which research has shown. Let’s take a look at some of this research.
- 381 chiropractors found that over 80% of plans for recent-onset headaches required less than ten visits scheduled at 1-2 visits per week for less than eight total weeks while using snag.
- 6-8 SMT sessions produced good outcomes for CGH.
- A Spine Journal study found that spinal manipulation reduces the number of CGH symptomatic days by half.
- Spinal manipulation is a great treatment for migraine headaches. A Harvard study found that SMT reduced the amount of migraines and pain intensity. Adding SMT to other medical care leads to about two fewer migraine days per month.
- A research paper demonstrated a “significant reduction” of migraine intensity in almost 50% of those receiving spinal manipulation. Additionally, ¼ of migraine patients reported greater than 90% fewer attacks.
- Cervicogenic Vertigo responds positively to manual therapy. Since Cervicogenic Vertigo is a result from upper cervical dysfunction, spinal manipulation is a great treatment. Several studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of spinal manipulation for Cervicogenic Vertigo.
At Back and Body Medical we aim to help patients out of pain, rehabilitate from injury and for them to understand the entire process so as to help prevent future injury as well.
If you are in pain or need help to return from injury, our collaborative physical therapy and chiropractic care is for you. With our therapists, doctors and in practice gym, we are here to help you.